[TowerTalk] How to align a beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to align a beam
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (David Robbins K1TTT)
Date: Sat Aug 9 16:07:01 2003
First, please lets not start the 'find true north' thread again... ok
everyone????

Second, its really not that critical unless you are going to do
microwave grid hunting.

Now, the easiest way I have found is to pick a tree, building, or some
other distinctive landmark a reasonable distance away that you know the
bearing to, set the rotor to that bearing, then point the antenna at it
by sighting along the boom, and clamp it down.  You can also sight along
an element if the object is 90 degrees off from where you have the rotor
pointed.

Another good way with guyed towers is to use one of your guy wires as a
reference and have someone on the ground sight up the guy wire and tell
you when the antenna is lined up with it.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net

NW