[TowerTalk] Re: [FCG] Relays in RF usage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [FCG] Relays in RF usage
From: rkmr15203@yahoo.net (R.Morris)
Date: Wed Aug 13 10:32:36 2003
Mike Gilmer - N2MG wrote:
> These are the same type of Aromat relays (JW series)
> found in Array Solutions StackMatch boxes.
>
> They are available at Digikey for, as Pete noted, ~$2
> in small qty - SPDT, DPDT and various coil voltages.
>
> Mike N2MG
>
> N4ZR wrote:
>

>>At 02:25 PM 8/12/03 -0700, Jim Lux wrote:
>>
>>>Hopefully, too, the mfr has actually tested the
>>>particular relay at RF rather than blindly scaling
>>>from 60 Hz databook values.  If you're making
>>>a thousand radios, it's worth it to do so.
>

>>It's in this connection that I recall a post by
>>W2VJN some years ago recounting tests of the relays
>>used in their TopTen relay boxes.  Despite the fact
>>that these 10A-rated relays are very small, and only
>>cost about $2 each in small quantities, George told
>>of successfully testing them repeatedly at full
>>legal power.  Sort of undermines the big is best
>>theory.
>

>>For details, check
>>

> http://lists.contesting.com/_towertalk/2000-May/030900.html

> PeoplePC:  It's for people. And it's just smart.
> http://www.peoplepc.com

Are not all relay specs for hot switching and with the load applied? I
can't think where, in any antenna or pi-net circuit, that the relay does
not switch "cold". Even QSK, with all the sequencing. Even the
transceivers with band changes are not key-down. I replaced the TR relay
in an Icom 735 with some Radio Shack look-alike, little reed thing, and
it still works fine.

Does someone want to guess at the ratings "after contact". Used to be a
spec on Dow-Keys of DB isolation, sure were smallish contacts for KW of
AM(4kw?).