Re: [TowerTalk] Universal Base

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Universal Base
From: K4BEV@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:47:38 EDT

> The other question I have is that the rods are hollow and will fill with
> water.  I guess I could plug them with a wooden dowel.  I think I should keep
> them completely encased in the concrete and not let them drain into a stone
> bed below the concrete or some such idea.   Any thoughts .....

Why not let them drain into the stone bed under the tower base?
Plugging the end of the tubes (tubes are hollow rods) allows water to collect
in the tubes. The water may come from a leak or from condensation forming
inside of the tower legs (the tubes). If this column of water freezes it will
likely burst the tower leg - this is bad.
There are several ways to prevent this, but the simplest (my opinion) is to
give the water somewhere to go. I always thought that was why the gravel bed
was under the base in the first place.... I could be wrong - I'm sure I'll be
corrected if I am.

73, Don - K4BEV