Re: [TowerTalk] Universal Base

To: Frank Mayer <domino@worldlynx.net>, towertalk<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Universal Base
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:48:29 -0500
Hi, Frank;

You are correct that there is a reason not to drain the tubes. Alkalinity of the concrete protects steel from corroding. Drainage permits the alkalinity to leach out, after which the steel will corrode.

On the other hand, you don't want water and ionic material to collect in the tubes. Filling them with concrete excludes those materials and provides alkaline protection for the steel. Of course, you can't fill them with concrete containing large rock particles. Use sand based concrete and gently work it into the tube with a rod to get the big air bubbles out.

73 de WOØW

Frank Mayer wrote:

I just purchased a Universal 4-50 and a B-18 base.  Does anyone know how far
those base rods are to be put into the concrete?   There is a washer welded to
the rods near the top.  The other question I have is that the rods are hollow
and will fill with water.  I guess I could plug them with a wooden dowel.  I
think I should keep them completely encased in the concrete and not let them
drain into a stone bed below the concrete or some such idea.   Any thoughts or
experiences with these bases?
Frank WY3D