Re: [TowerTalk] BBC report on bird kills at towers

To: eric@k3na.org
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BBC report on bird kills at towers
From: n4gi@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:42:05 -0400
Truely another case of media sensationalism.  As a consulting ecologist, I have
wrangled with the tower/wildlife issue on several occasions.  I have a bunch of
papers on the issue.

To bring it all into perspective, I like to ask the environmental regulators I
work with how many comm. towers they see on a daily basis (we're in the field
regularly).  When they answer, I ask them how many dead birds they've ever seen
under one.  The answer: none.  There are only two or three documented cases of
mass deaths that I'm aware of, unfortunately those are the folks getting
interviewed all the time.

There's a bunch of unanswered questions regarding the tower/bird death
relationship.  I've even read one theory that says predators (big birds) chase
the song birds around the towers during feeding, which causes exhaustion.

Don't worry, our ham towers are safe; as long as you don't get a bald eagle
that decides to nest in it.

73,
Blake N4GI