Re: [TowerTalk] BBC report on bird kills at towers

To: "Darrel J. Van Buer" <darrel@vanbuer.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BBC report on bird kills at towers
From: Tom Anderson <ww5l@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:58:27 -0500
Fellow Hams:

Please no flames, but isn't always birds hitting 1,000 foot towers.
Since the mid-1950s south west of Dallas (City of Cedar Hill, a.k.a. the
"City of Towers") in an area known as "Tower Hill" nearly all of the
Dallas/Fort Worth television and radio stations have had 1,000-2,000
foot towers supported with probably enough guy wire, rather cable, to
encircle the globe (just kidding) but there is still a lot of guy cable
in the air down there. Cedar Hill, according to the Chamber of Commerce
is the highest point between the Red River and the Gulf of Mexico.

The towers are marked on every aviation chart I've ever seen, but still
both military and civilian pilots manage to hit the guy cables
periodically.  The last one to hit it were a couple naval reservists as
I recall a few years back in an F-4 Phantom.

Also an interesting web site were a lot of cities have their ordinances,
building codes, etc. on line is at
http://www.municode.com/index.asp?nav=2&id=1

Tom, WW5L