Re: [TowerTalk] Telephone pole tower

To: "Ken Anderson" <longrange10@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Telephone pole tower
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:54:05 -0400
Yes, this is very common, particularly was common a generation ago.  Telrex
sold "telephone pole mounts" at $175 apiece.  I actually bought three which are
still around here, all rusty, etc.  They're made of steel angle welded into an
L with brace -- a triangle, total -- then "all thread" rod that goes through
the pole with washers and nuts on each end to secure the bracket to the pole.
Then, flat steel plates for the rotator and bearing.  So, two sets of these on
the pole, four angle assemblies total for each pole.

In many areas, like ours, you can get to know the telephone pole contractors or
employees and for a six pack or $100, whichever you can negotiate, they will
deliver you old poles and install them for you on a Saturday.  You may have
noticed, old but still serviceable poles are often removed and newer, generally
taller, ones are put up.  There is a steady stream of old poles that the phone
company is disposing of.  They are also used for bridges across small streams,
pole barns, etc.

73 - Rich, KE3Q