Re: [TowerTalk] Interesting video on BPL from the power companies

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Interesting video on BPL from the power companies
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 10:41:36 -0700
At 10:28 AM 9/2/2003 -0400, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
Check out this site for some interesting video from your local future BPL
providers.

http://www.uplc.org/

Near the bottom there is a black box on BPL.  Click it to see your bright
future with BPL.

As the narrator says, it's all about the "customer experience"
(with the unspoken subtext... never mind that the laws of physics might stand in the way... as long as BPL has "access to capital markets", we'll all get rich this year.. and who cares about next year, because I'll be working for a company with the "next great thing")

Practically speaking, the way to kill BPL isn't to get regulations made (that takes too long and the regulations may not be to our liking anyway...)

The way to kill it is the standard technique used in business.. Create Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) in the minds of the analysts on Wall Street so they find something else to invest their money in. Without money, BPL will go nowhere. The analysts aren't stupid, but, if they don't hear the "laws of physics" arguments, they won't be able to act on them.

Make it seem like you might not be able to make a killing with BPL (and not just because of regulatory hurdles, large though they are). How are you going to deliver broadband video through an inherently narrow band link? Raise real questions of whether BPL solves the "last mile" problem.

So, here's the big question.. how best to get the ear of Wall Street?

Jim, W6RMK

Bill K4XS