[TowerTalk] A3S Problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jbigham2@kc.rr.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] A3S Problem
From: brewerj@squared.com
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:49:41 -0400
Gene,

Perhaps twenty meters might still be good as on that band as the parallel LC
traps (for 10,
and 15m) are not "seen" on 20m. Water may well have gotten into them and detuned
them. Hopefully you'll find out after a few days in the sun. I'd not do
anything until they
dry out and see what happens (the drain holes ARE facing down, no?) :-)

Those trap screws arent pot metal, but they're very cheap zinc plated
self tappers. I replaced all of them when rebuilding my A4S.  What I'd like to
know
is how you get the trap shield off without breaking the little bent piece of
the trap cover that's attachhed to those rusty screws. That aluminum is NOT
very ductile and breaks easily when pushed back out to clear the coil forms.

John K5MO

I finally installed earlier this spring on a light aluma tower T-150 a =
Cushcraft A3S triband beam I have owned and had up in several =
configurations over the past 6 years.  I measured all parameters prior =
to leaning the tower, rotator and antenna into place.  The SWR was =
acceptable on all three bands 10/15/20, with slightly higher SWR on 20