Re: [TowerTalk] Re: using trees to anchor wire antennas / TheCrossbow In

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: using trees to anchor wire antennas / TheCrossbow Incident
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:27:54 -0400
I also have used crossbows to loft arrows trailing monofilament, which then pulled twine and then pulled rope....

One time, the trees near our biggest tower were so thick we could not pull a line up through them. I climbed the tower and had my father W1CW send up the cross bow... the spool of monofilament was attached to a board which he then in turn attached to a 2 x 4 that had several common nails partially driven in that were bent with the heads rolled over so that they in turn hooked onto a horizontal rung of the tower, thus freeing up my hands for the cross bow...

It took two shots - the first one broke the monofilament about 50 feet out and that arrow was LONG gone into the distant field. All the while I was wondering if a neighbor was videotaping me up at 100 feet shooting a cross bow to the northwest... seeing as I was not taken away in a straight jacket I guess not :-)

Heah... it worked... and the dipole was resurrected... Dad later had the tree guys come out and they "enhanced" [can you say chain saw or stump grinder?] the path between the two towers that supported that wire :-)

Inexpensive crossbows which are more than adequate for the accuracy needed in this type of operation can be had at all the local weekend flea markets here in FL... cheap, too!

Jim, K4OJ