Re: [TowerTalk] Info for all

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Info for all
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:48:22 -0700
I assume that these bits of "fur" are near the top of the tower?
They would fit in the general class of "static dissipators" having very small radii of curvature (compared to, say, the end of the antenna element) and, so, having very low breakdown voltages, making it easy to bleed off charge as corona discharge. You'll see this kind of approach used on airplanes to bleed of "P-static", which is actually charge that builds up on the plane's (conductive) body as it hits charged raindrops and cloud particles. It's also a nifty demo on something like a Van deGraaff generator, where you can show that the maximum terminal voltage is reduced (lots of frequent little sparks as opposed to infrequent big ones).

Consider though, that the tower as a whole should be grounded solidly (for a variety of reasons), so the real question is whether trying to make a lower resistance connection from ground to "air" is worth doing. There won't be significant "impact charging" from charged dust or raindrops hitting the tower, and any such charging will rapidly be conducted to ground.

As far as lightning prevention goes it's uncertain whether sharp pointed airterminals (or static dissipators) help or hurt.... One theory holds that the sharp points on the air terminal help dissipate the relative charge and prevent a substantial leader from developing... Another holds that the sharp points can spray ions into the air where they form a semiconductive cloud... Yet another theory talks about changing the electric field distribution around the object, and therefore changing the likely path of lightning.

The real problem is that it is mind bendingly difficult to get good, repeatable, scientific data on the efficacy of such things. Creating a realistic E-field in the lab is very non trivial (it's not just a matter of hooking up a big Marx bank.. the rise time and shape of the field are very different than that of the usual impulse source... Marxes are used to simulate the waveform AFTER the lightning has connected) There are some researchers at Erico in Australia who were developing test setups for just this problem.

If you try and do field experiments, there are so many confounding other effects that it's hard to get unambiguous data, even with A/B type comparisons, except perhaps over many years at one location. Perhaps the Langmuir Lab has published some data.

It all probably comes down to: It won't hurt..