RE: [TowerTalk] Coax Resiliency

To: "'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Coax Resiliency
From: "Steven Gehring" <stevekz9g@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:28:33 -0700
All:

If I'm not mistaken, the megger won't generate more than 500 to 1000 volts
with VERY little current.  If the coax can't handle this basic leakage test,
it's trash.  If memory serves me right, the cautionary note on the megger
says something like 500 or 600 volts and not to crank it with your fingers
around the unit's wire leads or the line under test. Otherwise...the
generator crank will wake you up!

The Air Force uses this longstanding megger to test coax for the exact same
reason - leakage due to water and contaminant intrusion.  It's a simple and
time-tested device.

73,

Steven J. Gehring
Bothell, WA