Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Question

To: Jerry Keller <k3bz@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Question
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:15:52 -0400
Do I understand correctly....that the thrust bearing (a) takes the weight
off the rotor,

Not at my QTH, I personally do not but many hams DO use it in this manor.

A typical ham rotor can more than handle the weight of a heavy duty mast and antennas - it is the HORIZONTAL thrust that I use the bearing for - keeping the mast vertical and not allowing it to rotate eccentrically.

Why not use it for vertical bearing - the tower, the rotor plate and the rotator casting are all possibly "not perfect" - so it is possible things could be off square and off center... if this is true then it is conceivable that such an eccentric rotation would cause a rotating mast to have a vertical travel component...

IF there were indeed a situation where the mast wanted to go up and down and the trust bearing was securing the masts vertical position then it would be up to the rotator to go up and down meaning that since it is bolted to the rotor shelf, the shelf would then go up and down...

Now if all those bolts are doing their job they ain't allowin' any up and down and the casualty would be the housing of the rotator which does not allow any up and down - AND - since it is pot metal - well - can you say "weakest link?"

and (b) allows removal of the rotor while leaving the mast
and antennas in place? Any other purpose(s)?

I could use those set screws on the thrust bearing to hold the vertical weight of the mast while servicing but personally prefer to use a surplus HyGain toothed boom to mast clamp.

By elevating the mast only a little bit and then socking down that clamp you remove any load to the rotor and it can come free. I have an automobile jack that is screw drive - I place it on the top of the flat plate and then operate the jack by my cordless electric drill - which easily will raise up the mast during rotor swap out/service. The motor doesn't even sound strained - it is a beautiful thing - whirrrrrr up.... whirrrrrrr down. I use it to push against the boom just above the top plate... no major muscling of the mast/stack is need - the cordless drill is doing the work :-)

I have the good fortune to have a tiltover tower, so I can install everything while it's horizontal, with no load on the mast. is 1/2" enough of a gap to leave in the mast-to-rotor connection? Do I then just tighten the thrust bearing set-screws as tight as I can? Or is there more to it? (My thrust bearing didn't come with instructions, and I've never done this before.)

Again, a lot of guys do this - it is one of those topics on tower talk that once again I am sure reveal there are several different schools of thinking on the issue... since I decided to drop out of engineering school I will only qualify my thoughts as being those of a guy who has a very large contest station with multiple rotors and towers and the only rotor malfunctions I have endured are by virtue of lightning strikes opening up wires, etc...

GL

Jim, K4OJ