[TowerTalk] HF2V (self-standing but not exactly a "tower")

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF2V (self-standing but not exactly a "tower")
From: alan.kaul@att.net
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:08:12 +0000
Howdy, I'm looking for some ideas.  I have a 10 year old HF2V, roof mounted,
with 6 elevated
radials, 2 on 80 and 4 on 40,  No capacity hat loading, and since it is above
ground, I am not
using the coil between radiator and radials...  Every year I adjust the 80M
coil so I can peak
the antenna for either CW or SSB.  This year, however, I have a problem.

I adjust the antenna on 80M by either stretching or compressing the base coil.
Compress it
and work CW with resonance at approx 3.525 mHz (SWR ~1.3 to 1), stretch it a
bit to reduce
L and slide resonance up to about 3.775 mHz ---- however the SWR dips only to
about 2.2 to 1
at that point.  I've tried reducing the coil by two turns, etc., and the SWR
never gets lower
than 2.2 to 1 UNLESS I compress it  again (adding more L).  Then the SWR drops
lower
(depending upon the resonant frequency -- at 3.6 mHz, for example, it is about
1.8 to 1, but if I
go down to 3.5 mHz it drops to almost 1.2 to 1.

Anyone have any ideas whhat is going on?  And what I might be able to do to get
SSB-
segment SWR back down to better levels?

Any help is appreciated.  Please and thanks, and best 73 de alan

--
Alan Kaul W6RCL LaCanada, CA 91011
e-mail:  w6rcl@amsat.org