Re: [TowerTalk] RFI resolution

To: 'TowerTalk' <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RFI resolution
From: Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:41:16 -0700
To keep the discussion relevant to this list, it sounds like it is
related to the field strength, so you obviously need a taller tower to
put her house further away from the beam (and further down the slope of
the main lobe). :^)

This may or may not help, but I had some trouble with a subwoofer of
the type where it gets its signal by feeding the front speaker leads
through the subwoofer.  Putting some Radio Shack chokes on the lines
helped a bit, but after changing to a new receiver which had a coax
port to drive the subwoofer all the interference went away.

Bob, N7XY

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 01:51:11PM -0700, David Cook wrote:
> Thanks Roger, that's seems like very good advice to me. My neighbor doesn't
> care to have me in her house "inspecting" her home, and I don't particularly
> want to see it either. Who knows, maybe Norman Bates lives in her attic.
>
> So who might these "professionals" be? It would be nice to have someone do
> the work while I'm here at the shack to key the mic for tests.
>
> Another thing, for the group, as far as I've determined so far this is a
> problem with only this one piece of gear - her sub-woofer. I haven't done
> anthing to any of the neighbors' equipment, so I don't think it's stray RF
> on my end. In fact, it only happens when I point the beam directly at my
> neighbor's house. I can run a full kilowatt with the beam pointed in any
> other direction and she doesn't hear a peep out of her sub-woofer. Just
> wanted to make that clear to some who suggested stray RF.
>
> Thanks for all the great responses on this somewhat off-topic question.
> Thanks for the suggestions to keep a log, I've started one now. And if I
> don't make some headway soon, I'll send a formal letter to her, for the
> record, about the situation. Should I cc: the FCC?
>
> 73, Dave, WAOTTN

Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy (at) n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net