Re: [TowerTalk] or2800 m2 rotator into Rohn 25 tower

To: dcm@stanford.edu
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] or2800 m2 rotator into Rohn 25 tower
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:55:29 -0400
I have not installed one of these...but it sounds like it might be a candidate for installation at the top of the second section of tower down... the top of the section is the tapered end of the tube and the bottom of the top section has approximately five or six inches before the first horizontal cross bracing starts at the base of the section. I am not at the station otherwise I would measure it for you...

This short vertical window of opportunity before the bracing starts up may be what you need for the corners of the triangular motor casing to sneak outside the tower's cross section.

I have used that location many times with a long mast - you have to install the rotor before the top section so to speak... if you ever have to service the rotor you will probably have to saw the cross bracing and will need to substitute a "patch" to make up for the loss... by choosing this location you have picked the least destructive point to cut a cross brace since a regular cross brace is roughly every 15 inches so cutting one of those in the middle of the tower section would result in a 30" (prox) distance between intact horizontals, call it five inches from the bottom of the section up for that cross brace and you will have about 20" without a horizontal cross brace...

Yes, it will require a very long mast but if you are stacking this can be a big bonus as far as mechanical advantage.

Not a P.E. just an antenna farm owner who has had to saw a cross brace while in the air before - not fun! Back to building yagis...

Jim, K4OJ

Craig Miller wrote:
Steve

As per M^2's Orion 2800PDC manual: "The Rohn 25G tower is the smallest that will accept the OR-2800PDC positioner and only in the top section that tapers into a mast guide-tube. The positioner cannot EASILY be installed in any other part of the tower."

If additional questions, call Wyatt Lyzenga at M ^2 in Fresno (559.432.8873 Ext 15)- he's very helpful and incredibly knowledgeable.

"Wyatt Lyzenga" <wyatt@m2inc.com>

73 and GL,

Craig
WA6OXK

What are my options on putting the or2800 into a Rohn
25? When I bought it, someone there said I had to
remove a cross brace. If I do that in a regular
section, will the rotator fit? Appreciate hearing
from someone who did this and what options are available for me. I want the rotator lower for the
long mast I will use.
73 K7AWB Steve Spokane Valley, WA

http://sbc.yahoo.com