Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Recommended FRS radios for tower work

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Recommended FRS radios for tower work
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 10:02:33 -0700
The older (2000 time frame) Radio Shack FRS radios (with the dip switch internally to set the channel) have a fairly standard dual jack for a headset. I can't recall off hand whether it matches Yaesu or Kenwood pinout. Radio Shack sells(sold?) a compatible VOX headset which I've used. (I've also used the same headset for other vox things).

Casually browsing through the RS web site.. it kind of looks like everyone puts the VOX function in the radio these days, and uses a straight PTT or "always on" kind of microphone.. Example would be the 21-1904 Sports GMRS/FRS radio.. ($60 each)
or, the 21-1910 two pack of Moto T5720 radios for $80...

By the way, as a practical matter, you might want to use VHF business band radios rather than FRS, if you're anywhere near a big city... In Los Angeles, for instance, you'd be hard pressed to find a FRS channel that isn't totally full with all manner of oddball traffic ranging from kids/parents at Disneyland to what sounds like contraband pickups/deliveries.

Unfortunately, since all it takes is pressing the keys to get to the UHF GMRS frequencies, they're pretty cluttered too...

Many cities have someone who will rent you standard Motorola Radius radios, all licensed, etc. for a reasonable sum (few bucks a day per radio).