Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Harware

To: KI7WX@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Harware
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:17:05 -0400
At 01:12 PM 10/19/03 -0400, you wrote:

I think you are going to find that Stan is out of the bolt business. Texas
Towers may have some Rohn bolt kits.

FWIW, I used the Rohn bolts on some 25G and found they are not galvanized,
but weakly plated. On 50 foot of tower, many of these sacred Rohn 25G bolts were
showing rust after only 2 years. This was in NC which is not that harsh an
environment. On my other tower I used some bolts from McMaster Carr which were
coated with something they call "Ultracoating". Those bolts were like new when
we took the tower down this spring.

My conclusion is next time I do used 25G I'll just get a good bolt and won't
waste too much time worrying about if they came packaged from Rohn or not.

Fair enough -- I got mine from W3NRS at US Tower Service in Frederick, MD. They sure were galvanized, and I assumed they were Rohn, but that was 8 years ago, and none of them are showing any rust. The important thing is to get the right sizes, galvanized, in a Class 5 bolt -- don't use stainless unless you're prepared to dope every thread with anti-seize, and even then all bets are off if you ever try to remove one without reapplying the goop.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 3.
2440 stations are listed -- 104 stations were added or updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm