Re: [TowerTalk] Posting replies BACK to the group...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Posting replies BACK to the group...
From: mcduffie@actcom.net
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:32:42 -0600
This topic has come up before and there's always a 'fight' about it.
I'll take the opportunity to express my opinion again, just as
others will.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:29:20 -0700, Dino Darling wrote:

> ALL of my lists
> reflect BACK to the list server.  I do this because these type of groups
> are discussion groups.  How can you have a discussion if you only see one
> part of the thread?

Absolutely.  That's what lists and newsgroups are for.

> On the RARE occasion someone needs to reply privately, let that person take
> the necessary steps to send that e-mail privately.  As it is now, a LOT of
> the people have to plug in this list's e-mail address to get it routed back
> here.

And, like a lot of people, including me, many will hit the reply
button and not realize they forgot to change the address until it
doesn't show up on the list.

Additionally, I see no reason to reply directly to the person with
the original post.  I hit reply and then cut the person's address
and replace it with the list alias from my adr book.  If there's
something I want to discuss "offline", then I reply only to the
poster's address.  It is very rare that a genuine reply to a list
posting would not be of interest to the rest of the group.  The list
members are deprived of the freedom to make that choice of reading
or not if they never see the replies.

As you said, it's up to the list owner.  Like others, it is only an
opinion I offer here.

Gary

--
a g 0 n at a r r l dot n e t