RE: [TowerTalk] Covert Mast and Yagi

To: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wes@attawayinterests.com>,<froggy@awaforums.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Covert Mast and Yagi
From: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:07:49 -0800
> I suggest that you put up a couple of dipoles as high as you can.
> Feed them with open-wire line and do some operating on several
> bands.  Use appropriate stealth techniques.  While you are doing
> this continue to research the "collapsible beam" idea.  You will
> also be able to use this operating time to see if anyone
> complains about RFI or wires, or whatever.  If no complaints are
> noted then I think a couple of things will develop:
>
> 1. You will find that the dipoles aren't really bad antennas and
> you really can make a lot of QSOs with them;

I just put up a 4 element SteppIR, but kept my inverted vee's at
60 feet on a separate mast.  In A/B'ing the two antennas, the
beam really is a huge step up, especially in receiving.  A beam
is worth the trouble (not that you can't get on the air with wires).

You might consider one of those towers that lowers to 11 feet
with a 2 element SteppIR Yagi (6 foot boom) and simply
take the element halves off when not in use.  The quick disconnect
mounting is pretty easy to work with.  You would also want to
spring for the boom slider accessory.  This allows you to bring
the elements right up to the tower, where you can get to them.

Rick N6RK