Re: [TowerTalk] to piggy back or not to piggyback

To: k1my@msn.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] to piggy back or not to piggyback
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:45:13 EST
In a message dated 11/10/03 10:00:36 AM Pacific Standard Time, k1my@msn.com
writes:

> I have the heavy duty Rohn guy anchors (I think they are 5/8" or so in
>  diameter by 6 feet long) embedded in concrete per the book for the 100 foot
>  towers. I'd like to avoid more investment in backhoes and concrete. Since
>  the new towers will only be 60 feet of R25 and will have a small footprint
>  on top (UHF antenna), can I use the existing guy point for one of my
>  anchors. The angle is all wrong but I would think that it would work.
>
>  What do you think?

    Not much if you're considering using the anchor rod. You're going to be
adding some off-axis forces to it. While the forces will be relatively small,
the anchor is not designed for this. Here are 2 possible options: 1) make your
attachment point at the place where the rod comes out of the concrete so it'll
minimize the sideways forces on the rod or 2) use the existing concrete to
mount an additional piece of hardware; that is, put some sort of big forged eye
bolt or hanger on some all-thread for an additional attachment point (see your
other post about drilling into the concrete base).

    I'm not too crazy about #1 so suggest you use #2 for maximum reliability
and minimum problems.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -