Re: [TowerTalk] Trap Resonance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trap Resonance
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:11:14 EST
In a message dated 11/21/03 8:03:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mchilkuri@kasnet.com writes:
>>I am now left wondering where exactly the trap should dip? Tom suggests that
it should NOT be brought to resonance on and around the desired operating
freq. So, where do I tune the trap? I could place it at 14.2 but 14.2 would
be my desired operating freq!<<

I would not rely on TOM, W8JI "wisdom," tune it to where it gives maximum
signal and the best performance. Tom is way off and wrong on the subject of
current in loading coils on the antenna. He has extensive article on his web
site
that is completely wrong, there was quite a discussion on eHam.net and
rec.radio.amateur.antenna newsgroup on this subject and people that measure
things
concluded that the current is not equal at both ends of the loading coil, while
he is still insisting that it is (based on wrong assumptions and calculations).
Since the trap is acting as a loading coil, looks like you stumbled on
another proof that he is wrong and disseminating fallacy (not the first time).
The
final proof is in the signal strength and what you measure, not what someone
"calculates."
Looks like this business of current distribution in the loading coils has
also significant impact on traps, which become loading coils at lower bands and
knowing what is really happening will help to optimize them for better
efficiency. More info is on my web page
http://www.k3bu.us/loadingcoils.htm

73 & GL

Yuri, K3BU