Re: [TowerTalk] Trap Resonance

To: <K3BU@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trap Resonance
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:39:37 -0800
I don't believe Tom's assertions on loading coil taper
or trap losses are based on "calculations". Yuri
conveniently leaves out these facts so as to support
his transparent (and pathological) dislike of W8JI. If you
look in the Towertalk archives, you will find that there was
a debate several years ago on the efficiency of trapped
antennas. W8JI proceeded to make a series of careful
measurements in his lab. He was even soliciting people to
send him traps for measurement. I believe he presented the
results of these measurements at the Dayton Hamvention
Antenna forum. Likewise, W8JI claims to have made
numerous measurements of the current in loading coils, not
just "calculations" as Yuri describes. In fact, after repeated
prodding from yours truly (on eham.net), Tom described
the details of the current probes he used to make the
measurement and why he felt W9UCW's measurements
were in error. An anonymous poster on eham.net even
claimed to have acheived similar results (no current taper)
in a professional setting. He too described they difficulty
associated with these measurements and the need for
careful current probe design. Others (W9UCW) have
measured a taper. The debate came down to an
argument over measurement technique and whether
certain measurement techniques are susceptible to
"electric field" induced errors. Interestingly enough when
the name calling stopped and the eham.net debate got
down to scientific nitty gritty (current probe designs were
presented), the man who eschew's theory and claims
to be  "Mr. Empiricism" (e.g. Yuri) was nowhere to be found.

As usual, Yuri, presents a one-sided look at a two-sided
debate. He seems to think that science is done like politics
- smear your opponent and only tell one-side of the story.
Pathetic!