[TowerTalk] Installing radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Installing radials
From: N6CW@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:41:17 EST
Gentlemen,

I am currently installing a new inverted L for 80 meters. My residential lot
is confined to a 120 degree portion of the needed area for radials. In this
120 degrees have installed 16 radials ranging from 40-120 feet in length. I
have
access to another 120 degrees to the East and southeast. Part of this area is
a slope rising approximately 30 feet above the ground level of the inverted L
and would put the end of some of the longer radials at about mid level to the
vertical portion of the antenna.

My question is, would this be detrimental to the operation of the antenna? Is
it better to have a large quantity of radials, even if some of them are
ending up that high above the feed point of the antenna, or just run the few
that I
can level with the feed point?  It seems to me this would amplify the
reflection off the hill, distorting the pattern even more than it would be, but
I am
more concerned with the overall efficiency of the antenna on transmit.

I know this is not an optimum situation but it is what I have to work with.

Terry/N6CW