RE: [TowerTalk] Stuck tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Stuck tower
From: "George" <gclute@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:27:16 -0800
I would never climb a crank up tower unless it was fully down and blocked.
My Tri-Ex MW65 had a problem.  The Clinton inaugural day storm hit when I
was away and the top section twisted to the point that the rail guides dug
into the metal and would not allow the top tower section to fully collapse.
I lowered the tower and the top section was still extended with the cable
slacked....scary.  After climbing on the roof to looking over the situation.
Placed a come-along on the top section and moved it down enough to fold the
tower down into the yard.

Hired a certified welder and had him take apart all 4 sections.  He hauled
it to his shop and returned it with all wows gone.  I painted and replaced
pulleys, bearings, and cables. The tower is motorized and is about 30 years
old.

It cost me about 500.00 to put it back in new condition. Lots of etching and
painting on my part. Used towers would probably be more expensive, and
require the same treatment.

Geo W7LFD