tracking down interference was Re: [TowerTalk] electric fence qrn

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: tracking down interference was Re: [TowerTalk] electric fence qrn
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 17:13:30 -0800
Probably, more accurately, it would be the responsibility of the "operator" of the interfering device (i.e. the entity that has control over whether it is on or off). Who owns the source of the interference (or who owns/controls the physical location of the device) is probably sort of irrelevant, except as they control what the operator does.

If you had a noisy neon beer sign in your bar, leased/loaned from the beer company, the FCC would make you turn the sign off, not the beer company. You might then be able to go and harass the beer company into giving you a new sign.

But this does bring up a sort of interesting question...

If the device is type accepted or were required to have a Part 15 placard, though, it might be a be a bit different. Consider the TV antenna amplifier that oscillates... the operator is responsible for shutting it down if it interferes, but the manufacturer might be on the hook for something if the device doesn't meet the certification requirements it was approved under.

What about the cable TV line amp that oscillates? It's almost certainly a type accepted piece of equipment. Who's responsible? The mfr of the oscillating amp? The cable company that uses the facility? The independent entity that owns the physical plant and leases it to the cable company? Yet another entity that actually is responsible for maintaining the physical plant under contract to the local cable company? Is there a difference if the amp were installed incorrectly (maybe it's not stable into all loads?)

What about RF devices that are intentional emitters, but which have no placards? I assume you go deal with the operator of the device, but that can get a bit sticky. Say I'm doing 10 GHz moonbounce or a I have a 10 GHz data link to an amateur buddy, and the local gendarmes put one of their X-band radar trailers outside my house, interfering with my receiver. The radar trailer is operating perfectly, it's just an unlicensed, in band emitter, subject to Part 15 (just like 2.4 GHz ISM stuff in the middle of the 2GHz ham band).

I figure I would go to the operator of the interfering device (i.e. the police) and tell them to cease operating their device. This presumes that they're even aware that it is a Part 15 device (it is, a special section covers this in Part 15) and that they know they have to shut down if they are interfering. Interestingly, these trailers do NOT have a Part 15 placard on them (which is probably violating Part 15, since they ARE an intentional RF emitter), at least the three I've looked at in the last month (two owned by the PD, one by a private security company).

Presumably, there's some radio tech at the PD who might know about this stuff (probably because the radio tech is a ham), but, the Explorer cadet who pulled the trailer and set it up? You'd probably have to spend a fair amount of time on the phone until you got ahold of someone who actually knew what you were talking about.

I wonder what the (practical) responsibilities of a "potentially interfering device" are in helping to determine whether their device is actually causing the problem; maybe it's not the 10GHz radar trailer transmitter, but my ham neighbor, who's a hermit and incommunicado, who has decided to put up his own 10GHz link, unbeknownst to me. In any case, though, what's the standard of proof required to ask someone to turn off their interfering signal? An order from the FCC based on their van coming out and making measurements?

This will become a bigger and bigger problem as wireless stuff becomes more common. BPL is only the beginning... Already, the 2.4 GHz ISM band is quite cluttered, and tracking down interference is a real challenge, since the transmitters aren't 100% duty cycle.

I'd feel a bit uncomfortable going up to my neighbor and telling them that their brand new wireless LAN is interfering with me, and they need to shut it down. This is a lot different from the classic "noisy light dimmer" or "broken fence charger" kind of thing, where the RFI is indicative of some failure of the consumer equipment, because their equipment is working perfectly, within spec.

Jim, W6RMK