[TowerTalk] electric fence qrn/Corroded copper

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] electric fence qrn/Corroded copper
From: ABowenN4OO <abowen@nettally.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 17:56:22 -0500
At 04:42 PM 12/9/2003 -0500, Jim White, K4OJ wrote:

Is there a solvent available which when poured onto copper that has oxidation will give it that shiny copper color? I am looking for an easy way out versus burnishing it... if a solvent exists please share that info... pouring some of it on to allow tinning, etc. would be a wonderful way to avoid nicking copper which is always fateful!
I have had reasonable success with "LimeAway", a product for removing mineral deposits on toilets and other plumbing. It is not as effective as the Duzall product recommended by W0UN, but it is easier to find. It does work reasonably well with braided copper and bare, stranded copper. Some rubbing or brushing will help also. I use an old tooth brush. Heating generally helps any chemical process.

I use a spritzer bottle with soapy water to clean up after the application and a water rinse if possible, followed by drying with a paper towel or some heat from a soldering iron.

The product is acetic, so use eye protection.

INK N4OO