[TowerTalk] rohn 45G

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rohn 45G
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 16:07:56 -0000
One of the problems with Rohn's operations was that they
started producing tower sections which were not plumb.

I bought an 8' tapered top section, where they simply got the
top tube crooked.  Then, they refused to replace it.
I wound up having Metalworks cut it apart and reweld it
properly, so the mast landed in the center of the rotor plate.

Then, I discovered while assembling things, that there were
errors of up to 1/2" in leg positioning, section to section.
God knows how much of their inventory was mis-manufactured,
and where it landed.

I can tell you that I NEVER saw that kind of garbage with
towers ten years ago or earlier.  Legs lined up within a
wall thickness, all the time.  Product quality was another
symptom of their mismanagement.

The NAFTA thread was interesting, if off-topic.  Greater impact has
come (silently) from the power of the PC and automation in the
workplace, and the availability of cheap longhaul bandwidth to
Asia, via satellite and undersea cable.

This DOES have an on-topic component...we wouldn't be able to afford
ham radios, if we didn't benefit from our international trade.  Without
surface mount devices and automated assembly, our radios would be
spending a lot of time being repaired, if we could afford them in the
first place.

Jim Jarvis, N2EA
Strategic Marketing Analysis-product positioning
International Business Development
Salesforce Development Programs
n2ea@amsat.org