Re: [TowerTalk] Bulkhead Source

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <WarrenWolff@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bulkhead Source
From: "Wally Klinger" <Wklinn@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:39:36 -0600
Hi Warren,

I live in a tri-level, and the shack is in the upstairs bedroom. I took 2 45
degree 4 inch PVC street elbows and a short length of 4 inch pipe and glued it
together. It is an upside down "U" that takes coax up from under the eave,
shoots across 6-7 inches, and drops the coax down into a closet. Works well
here.

Your big concern in my opinion is getting enough AC power into a shack. I have
2 panels in the shack both on 60 amp breakers fed from my 200 amp service in
the laundry room. I broke down the panels into 2 30 amp breakers for the amps,
and a bunch of 10 or 15 amp breakers to ring the room with outlets.

Trust me, there is no shame in running lots of extra conduit........ It is
cheap, easy to do when all your walls are open, and beats the heck out of
digging up your plasterboard later. Get the biggest panels that you can. They
too are cheap. I have EACH outlet and EACH appliance on a separate breaker in
the kitchen.

When my brother and I repulled the house and upgraded the service in 1997 it
ran me 2K in materials. I would do it again without hesitation. Nothing like
nice brand new wire, outlets, switches, surge protector and grounding..... 2 8
foot rods clamped to the service entrance/meter. I sleep better

73--Wally W9BEA
  : [TowerTalk] Bulkhead Source

  Greetings!!

  I am a year off from building my new home at Lake Havasu City.  I expect to
  have a 70 foot crank up and a 55 foot crank up.  In designing the layout, I
  have come to the "bulkhead" for feedlines and control cables from the shack
  the outside.

  Am I stuck with designing my own or is there a source for reasonably priced
  bulkheads?  I am sure I could do my own, but my new wife is going to demand
  high professionalism.

  Warren