Re: [TowerTalk] Re: One more ground radial question

To: <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: One more ground radial question
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:15:53 -0800 (PST)

> It would be very, very difficult to relate, with any confidence, the
> measurements you might make at ground level to the gain at 5,10, or 20
> degrees above the horizon. (unless you're like Rick Karlquist, with an
> antenna out Galt,CA in the middle of a flatter than Kansas plain with
> fairly uniform soil characteristics for miles in every direction)

Yep, that's why I bought that property.

Just wanted to say that what I always do is listen to many
signals and A/B two antennas against each other.  Thus, whichever
one wins has better gain at whatever angle the signals are
actually coming in at.  Basically, I don't care what that
angle is, I just want the antenna that works best with the
signals I want to receive.  The trouble with measuring gain vs
elevation angle, even if you own a helicopter :-) is that you
still need to know the angle the signals are coming in at.
How do you measure that?

Even if you knew my elevation pattern, "your milage may vary"
as the saying goes.  Different ground condx, different propagation,
etc.

Rick Karlquist N6RK