Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Soldering PL-259s

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Soldering PL-259s
From: "W3YY" <w3yy@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:03:08 -0000
For years I wrestled with how best to install PL-259's.  Soldering seemed
best and I got pretty good at it, but always wondered what I was melting
inside the connector!  I also tried just screwing the connector onto the
braid, which also seemed to work fine, but it always left me with doubts
about the reliability of the connection.

For a while, I went to using N connectors.  They were great, because you
only had to solder the center pin and were reusable.  Unfortunately, I found
that those with non-captive pins on the end of long coax runs had a tendency
to fail in cold weather.  What would happen is that the length of the center
conductor would shrink more than the outer braid and the center pin would be
pulled out of the mating female connector.

I wondered why no one made a connector with a PL-259 front end and a N
series type back end.  This would be, for me, the perfect replacement for
the standard PL-259.  I even considered designing my own and marketing it.
Then I discovered someone beat me to it.  These connectors already exist!
No heavy duty soldering.  The braid is captured in a compression ring
without soldering just like an N connector.  You solder the center conductor
to the pin, which is captive.  Simple to install and reusable by just
unsoldering the center pin and cleaning it out.

Put the big soldering guns and heat sinks away!

73, Bob - W3YY