re: [TowerTalk] weatherproof boxes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: re: [TowerTalk] weatherproof boxes
From: "Bill Ralston" <n7vm@lgcy.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 07:55:37 -0700
Joe asks:

>Does anyone know of a good source for reasonably priced weatherproof
>boxes ( either aluminum or stainless) that I could use to house such
>things as polyphasers at the base of the towers?

I bought boxes from my local electrical supply outfit.  I used two boxes -
one  48" x 30" x 10" at the tower base to hold polyphasers, stack match, six
pack and  one 16" x 14" x 6" at the house entry panel (300 feet away) to
hold a second set of polyphasers.  Cost was $549 and $108 respectively (this
may not be what you consider "reasonably priced").  These are heavy 12-gauge
steel with baked epoxy enamel and NEMA type 4 (watertight - see
http://www.ccsdualsnap.com/nema.htm for NEMA definitions).  Although more
expensive and difficult to machine than aluminum, this results in a
professional looking installation that the building inspector took one quick
look at and signed off on.

If you can't find an acceptable box at your local electrical supply, you can
try the internet, but realize that even the small boxes are heavy (=
shipping costs).  Hammond Manufacturing and Hoffman are the big two
manufacturers.  Allied, Carlton-Bates, and Newark are all distributors.

For construction tips and pictures email me direct.

73 de Bill N7VM