Re: [TowerTalk] rohn 45 leg bolts

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rohn 45 leg bolts
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:34:23 -0600

The original Rohn joint bolts were Grade 5, galvanized. That's not something that Lowe's or Home Depot stocks, at least in my experience. They only carry Grade 3 galvanized. Ace will have Grad e5 and Grade 8 hardware, but it's unlikely that it will be galvanized.

Lowes stocks Grade 5 and Grade 8 bolts but they are plated not galvanized. Their galvanized bolts were marked with a symbol that I thought was for Grade 5. But I guess it is a corporate logo or something. Next time I will wear my glasses when checking their bolts. They also have some "A307" galvanized bolts that are only 60,000 psi. I guess what they have at any given moment is what they got the best deal on.

The last time I bought genuine Rohn joint bolt kits from Texas Towers (ten years ago, admittedly) they weren't galvanized, adn they were NF thread. Don't know why the change.

I was also surprised to see that Rohn had switched to SAE NF plated bolts at some point. Assumed it was to cut costs. Just that they are not as long-lasting as hot dipped.

I would suggest Grade 8 hardware. Somewhat more corrosion resistant than the lesser grades.

I am not sure that this would be a problem but you have to be a little careful about trading up as well as down. Some of the higher grade bolts are more brittle and known in the auto-racing game as "widow makers". A less brittle bolt may give a bit rather than just crack in half. Probably not a problem but I would be careful.

Theoretically NF bolts should be somewhat stronger that NC bolts
since the threads are not as deep so they can be closer together.
But I certainly prefer the LOOK of the hot-dipped NC ones over the
plated ones.

John W0UN
---