[TowerTalk] Re: steppir radio interface

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: steppir radio interface
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:42:26 -0800 (PST)
Yes, but the SteppIR retunes every 25KHz.  Suppose I am tuning around
14.025.  Every time I jump over the "retune point" the controller starts
running the stepper motors.  There appears to be no (or very little)
hysteresis.  Retuning takes about 2 or 3 seconds so I have to sit and
wait (while the motor is giving me about S5 noise) until it is done.
This isn't fun, esp. during a contest or while trying to break a pileup
centered very close to the "retune frequency".  Additionally, the antenna
retunes every time you switch bands whether you like it or not.  I commonly
switch bands and leave the antenna sitting on the old band just to make
a quick check for a station or band conditions.  I don't want to wait
10 or 20 seconds for the antenna to move to the new band because I'm probably
planning to go back to the original band anyway.  These are the reasons
why I never use that $65.00 option I paid for.  For me, it has proven to
be a waste of my money.  I would much prefer computer control of the
controller so I can decide when I want the controller to adjust the
antenna frequency.  As of today, this can only be done while sitting in
front of the controller and pressing buttons.

Having said all this...I absolutely love my 3 element SteppIR.  I've had it
up on a 42' tower for a year now and my DXCC count has climbed from about
150 to 247.  It performs extremely well and I have no desire for any
other antenna.  It is the perfect antenna for my small city lot.  Other than
the remote control issues listed above, the only thing I would like is
to have one that works on 30 and 40 meters!