[TowerTalk] what happened to the $15.50 book

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] what happened to the $15.50 book
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@prexar.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:30:21 -0500
Ron and others,

I'd like to set the record straight as there has been a lot of BAD information bandied about here about the W6AM book.

The book was written by Jan Perkins and published by Vestal Press in Vestal New York. We carried the book at Ham Radio Magazine's Bookstore for a number of years and sold quite a few copies at a retail price of $29.95. HRO Anaheim and a number of other retailers also carried the book. Additionally, Wallace and Wallace bought a large number of books as part of the publishing deal. However, every book has a life cycle and sales eventually slowed.

Several years later, Bob Wilson, WA1TKH, the technical consultant at HR who was a good friend of the folks at Vestal asked if I would help them close out the remaining copies of the book at an upcoming Dayton. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse (gasp...I made money) and remaindered them at Dayton and in the catalog for $15.95. Davis RF put them in their catalog/web page and moved a few too at a price of $15.50.

As far as I was concerned, when we ran out of the remainder stock, that was it, no mas. Sales were not robust enough to continue to carry the inventory. The reference in the Davis web site is being deleted and that will hopefully end my involvement.

BUT Wallace and Wallace still has books and has every right to ask the original price of $29.95 as does HRO and anyone else selling the book.

So no one is getting screwed. My deal was a special one-time-only offer from the publisher.

I hope my explanation puts this issue to bed once and for all. If I was rude to anyone, I apologize.

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209
RINDGE NH 03461