RE: [TowerTalk] best boots or shoes to wear in towers.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] best boots or shoes to wear in towers.
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:50:57 -0600
At 08:38 AM 3/11/2004, Dale Martin wrote:

> i will like to hear from the experts what is the best shoe, boot
> or boot model , brand ,  to use for long time in tower work.

There are boots available for professional linemen. I bought a pair from a Sears industrial catalog about 25 years ago and they are still in great shape. Besides having the necessary steel shank and soles that work well on pole steps and tower rungs they also have a second layer of leather on the "inside of the outside". ;-) Meaning on the outside of the boots but on the side that is towards the pole--the sides between your feet. This takes the wear and tear of pole climbing with "hooks". I clean and polish them after every use and expect them to give me a lifetime of service.

While true lineman boots (highline) are usually 16 to 18 inches high,
the boots I have are about 8 inches.   Besides their arch comfort they
provide a lot of ankle support.  25 years ago I paid about $50 but
the professional ones go for $200 PLUS these days.   I think it
is a good investment for both safety and comfort--especially if
you have a lot of high towers.  But they are probably overkill if you
have just one tower that is only 30 or 40 ft and you only occasionally
climb.

You can get a LOT of "hits" by doing a google search for "lineman boots".

--John W0UN

---