Re: [TowerTalk] Using a crane to lift partiallyassembledtowersections...

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using a crane to lift partiallyassembledtowersections...
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:36:08 -0500
I'm pretty much in agreement with Don.  A couple points I'd add.

> a couple of points:
>
> - it is nice to have the guy wires 5 feet or so down from the top (much
> easier to maneuver around the top), provided the tower and wind load are
> compatible. They should be in your example.
>
> - it may not be simple to attach the yagi to the mast, while lying
> horizontal unless you have some sort of tilting mount or quite a high
> "sawhorse" to support it. If you do, fine, otherwise you'll need to do it
in
> a  2 part lift.
>
> - don't roll up the guy wire, it needs to be laid out straight without any
> kinks....
>
> - get 3 extra preforms and use 3 quality come-alongs to position/tension
> the guys

Have extra of just about everything.  At least you're not paying $100 to
$200 an hour whether he's busy of not.  I was working up on top hooking
things up.  They discovered the one guy line was about 2 feet too short...
Musta been a math thing.  At any rate I sat up there on top, which
admittedly was cooler than down on the ground in the 90 plus heat, for a
good hour waiting for parts.

> properly before fiddling with turnbuckles etc.
>
> 73
> Don
> VE6JY
<snip>
> Looking for comments / suggestions on the following tower project:
>
> The plan is to install a guyed 70 foot Rohn 25G tower this summer.
>
> I'm fortunate to have a good friend who has a crane who is willing to help
> with the installation.  Since my friend is kind enough to offer his time
and
> equipment, I'm trying to come up with a plan that will allow me to have as
> much
> prep work done as possible before he arrives.
>
> I was thinking of assembling 30 feet of tower and having it in place and
> already guyed before he arrives. I believe I could handle this part by
> assembling
> on the ground  and simply tilting into position as I have a 60 foot
utility
> pole with heavy duty pulleys at the top that is used for various dipoles,
> etc.,
Two mem or reasonable size can stand a 40 foot, 25 G, so they should easily
be able to do 30.  I've done 30 alone up to a bracket.

> that is close enough to easily reach the tower.
>
> Then, if I had the remaining 40 feet already assembled including the KT34A
> beam and associated rotor – as well as the guy wires and coax attached
> the
> top section and rolled up and temporarily attached to the lower of the top
4
> sections and laying supported on the ground …  what do you guys think
> about

As Don said, having the guys coilded is not the best way to go. They have a
tendency to kink when dropped.  They really need to be laid out ahead of
time with one person assigned to keep one straight as the crane takes up the
top section.

> having the crane lift that last 40 feet into position?
>
> While the crane was still supporting it we could attach the guy wires to
the
> anchors.
> I would just have to go up once and unhook the cable from the top of the
> tower and my friend could be on his way.

It's seldom that simple, but you can get lucky.  Don't forget you also have
to go upa nd bolt the sections together.  Then he takes the tension off the
lift, you tension the guys and then think about unhooking.
You want the guys hooked up and at least with the initial tension before
going up to unhook the crane.

> Is this a good idea or am I asking for trouble?  (I sure don't want
> trouble!)

It's not a bad idea. I'll rephrase it.  <:-))
I've worked with cranes and without them. They certainly can make things go
faster.
They have their own sets of hazards.

Who ever is on the tower and the guy in the cab need to speak each others
language.

> Questions that come to mind besides just the lifting 40 feet of tower with
> the 4 element beam attached into position…
>
> Is the 30 / 70 foot guying OK?

I'd use the ROHN catelog for a guide and probably hook on a few feet below
the top if permissible (tower rating and wind load)

> Would it be better to guy at 30 / 65 or ???

Stick to the book for what ever it says.

> Other suggestions or precautions would be welcome.
>
> Thanks,

Good Luck,

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com