Re: [TowerTalk] Heights "Clanging" noise at moderate winds

To: <Robert_Redoutey@Dell.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heights "Clanging" noise at moderate winds
From: "Bernard" <wtrone@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:11:32 -0600
    I have an old (bought new in 1975) Heights 72 ft (18 sq ft rating) on a
4 ft tilt base and don't have the "clanging" sound that you are talking
about.  Wonder about the "fit" from section to section.  The sound may be a
result of the torque as the tower twists in the wind.  It almost sounds as
if you have some bad welds.

    I'm not sure that you can do anything about it in the air.  But, next
time you tilt it over, take the antenna off, and try twisting the tower from
the top section.  See if you can identify where the sound is coming from.

    Just a thought.

            73

            Bernard, WA4OEJ