Re: [TowerTalk] Heights "Clanging" noise at moderate winds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heights "Clanging" noise at moderate winds
From: "Roland Guidry, NA5Q" <na5q@w5ddl.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:22:03 -0600
I helped K5UA, Charles, install 2 - 72 ft. Heights towers with 4 ft.
tiltover bases at his camp shack. Check out:
QRZ.com for pic.  He and I have not noticed this clanging sound that is
noted on this reflector. The tower does twist and sway some in high winds
though, and makes a creaking sound, but that is the extent of it. Seems
aluminum towers will sway more than steel towers, but they can be much
stronger and can take a good wind load on the top.

I would suggest checking out anything that is hanging off of the tower for
the noise and as one suggested, tilt the tower over and have someone twist
it from the top. You may find one bolt not tightened up that was missed or
worse a weld joint not done properly.

Roland, NA5Q