Re: [TowerTalk] Steppir VS UV Light

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steppir VS UV Light
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:17:02 -0800 (PST)
Unless you are planning to paint the elements battleship grey to better
match the sky, I wouldn't paint the SteppIR elements to make them more
visually pleasing.  The SteppIR elements are a very nice shade of green
which is perfect for many situations (like mine).  The elements blend in
perfectly with the trees in my yard, esp. when there are leaves on the
tree.  In the fall, you can't see the antenna unless you know it is there.

I DID paint the boom of my SteppIR.  I painted it a "forest green" to match
the elements as closely as possible.  It looks pretty good and the antenna
still functions beautifully (as expected).

The one thing SteppIR should do, though, is include more of the tape they
use to waterproof the telescoping element sections.  They don't supply
enough of it.  Anyone know where to get more?  Also, it would be nice
if you didn't need the tape at all.  If you ever want to break the
antenna down and take it someplace all that tape is a real pain!