Re: [TowerTalk] CC&Rs

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CC&Rs
From: Don Havlicek <n8de@thepoint.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 23:22:24 -0500
Jim,
Your analogy to seatbelts doesn't hold water. An automobile which did not have them when the law was passed, is NOT affected by that law.
I believe that you will find that a change in CC&R by a HOA would NOT be enforceable upon those whose 'structures' had NOT violated the CC&R previous to any new rule.
"Grandfather Clause" .. a good attorney should be able to keep the HOA from imposing upon someone who had built 'in good faith' and in accordance with the rules AT THE TIME OF THE CONSTRUCTION.
A better analogy:
A homeowner, following all the CC&R restrictions, or lack of them, paints his house green and purple, CANNOT be forced to paint it otherwise, IF the CC&R did NOT restrict him from doing just that. I am NOT referring to vague or ambiguous wording that MIGHT allow the HOA to interpret what is written into the CC&R.

I'm still glad I live on agricultural land ... 6 acres with NO restrictions .. I can put up any tower .. any height [subject to FAA, etc.] .. and build any structure I want ... and paint it any color I want .. without CC&R ...
Only limitation .. I need a building permit for any structure to be OCCUPIED by humans.

Don
N8DE

Jim Lux wrote:
Sure you can.. just the same as you can be subject to a new law.  At one
time you could buy a car without seatbelts, now you can't.

One of the usual things in a CC&R that allows for a separate rules and
regulations document (which yours may not) is a process by which those rules
may be changed (usually the board decides). Then, there's also usually ways
to amend the CC&Rs. In mine, it takes a vote of 2/3 of the homeowners (not
2/3 of those who vote, but an absolute 2/3)