[TowerTalk] Rustoleum...the answer?

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rustoleum...the answer?
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:23:39 -0000
Neil,

I am not an advocate of anybody's 'cold galvanizing spray'.
All it is is zinc bearing paint.

OTOH, Rustoleum rusty metal primer...the red stuff, will do a
reasonable job on tired metal, once you de-scale it and clean it
up a bit.  I was advocating Rusty Metal Primer, followed by
a top coat of dull aluminum colored paint.  Can't remember what
they call it, but it tends to both scatter and reflect light, so
takes on the color of leaves, or sky or buildings...as the sky
color changes.

As for Zero Rust, or whatever it was called, I have no knowledge
of the product.  But if it's impossible to get off your hands,
I don't think I WANT much knowledge, even if it's the best stuff
on the planet.

The REAL question is structural and safety, not appearance.
With a bolted/riveted tower, it may be appropriate to disassemble
it, clean it up, and reassemble it.  You cannot treat rust at the
section overlaps.

If you were to replace it, given the existing foundation, I would
consider replacing it with a new version of the same thing.
Was it HBDX48?  This is a really old thread!  Good luck.

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org