[TowerTalk] Re: Topband: KT34 & Shunt Feeding

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Topband: KT34 & Shunt Feeding
From: Greg Chartrand <w7my@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:24:50 -0800 (PST)
Phil,

You can strap all of the elements directly to the boom with no effect on the
KT-34xa; I had the same set-up a few QTH's back.

I would leave the KLM balun alone. The KLM balun works very well but it is
slightly reactive effecting the tune of the driven elements. If you think your
performance has dropped over the years, I'd suspect the feedline before
anything else. By the way, I found you could pickup a few DB of front to back
by putting a coaxial balun just before the KLM balun. 6 turns of coax 6-8" in
diameter would be fine. I never could figure out why the KLM balun apparently
did not fully perform the balanced to unbalanced match but it may had something
to to with its reactive characteristic.

Greg - W7MY

Do you Yahoo!?