Re: RE: [TowerTalk] Info for stripping enameled wire

To: <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: RE: [TowerTalk] Info for stripping enameled wire
From: <wcmoore@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 20:59:10 -0500
First things first.

Eccostrip must have been discontinued. It does not appear on the manufacturers
website and I mispelled the manufacturer's name. The correct name is
"Emerson&Cuming". Eccostrip 94 was one variant. I am not sure which variant it
was but remember reading it had phenol. It would wake up your nostrils real
fast if you did not use a fume hood.

If it contacted your hide you had about 5-10 seconds to get it off before it
riled up the nerve endings to the painful level. After that you had about 15-20
seconds before you started jumping up and down. It came in a brown glass bottle
and a little bit went a long way.

A Canadian firm makes a replacement that looks to work well in their demos. The
link is:

http://www.m-tc.com/paint_stripper/dichloromethane_alternative_paint_stripper.htm

I spilled some of the Eccostrip some years back on a workbench. By the time I
could pull a paper towel and wipe it (about 10 seconds) the finish on the
plastic bench top just sloughed off with the first wipe. Only spilled a few
drops. After that I purchased a lab apron, face shield and gloves. It made a
believer of me relative to MSDS and warning labels. Fortunately I learned the
easy way.

Sorry for the red herring on the Eccostrip.

Chuck WD4HXG