[TowerTalk] Antenna recommendations appreciated

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna recommendations appreciated
From: "Lou Laderman" <lladerman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:08:16 -0500
I am wrestling with what to get to replace my 15 year old KT34A, which
has been an excellent antenna, but is getting long in the tooth.  I'm
also thinking about having 17M and 12M capabilities on the same antenna.
I've been going back and forth among 4 comparably sized antennas: the
Tennadyne T8 (log), the Optibeam OB9-5 (interlaced yagi), the 3-el
SteppIR (adjustable element length, fixed spacing yagi), or the KT34M2
and not worrying about 17 and 12.  I have an M2 monobander for 6M (6M5),
so 6M with the SteppIR is not important to me.  All have good reviews,
and appear somewhat comparable on gain and front-to-back (to the extent
you can really compare the specifications reported). My tower can handle
the wind load of any of any of these with no problems. Any thoughts
would be appreciated.

73,

Lou, KB0CJ