Re: [TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops

To: lladerman@earthlink.net, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops
From: Steve Meuse <smeuse@mara.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:34:43 -0400
At 01:14 PM 4/28/2004 -0400, Steve Meuse wrote:
At 08:50 PM 4/27/2004 -0500, Lou Laderman wrote:

Mention was made of using a different, more flexible coax for rotor
loops than used on the main coax lines.  I've seen this suggested
elsewhere also. I've also heard (and followed) advice that you're better
off with a continuous run of coax than breaking the line with a
connector, and inserting losses in the line.  Which is correct?

I would do the math. If I knew the loss from the connectors (say 1db for example), I would see if 200' of a rigid cable minus the 1db loss would be more beneficial than a single 200' run of a flex cable with no connector loss.

Of course, I personally don't know what the loss figures are for connectors, and It's always been something of a mystery. I've heard uniformed people mention out loud, about .5db per break, but I don't have a clue.

So, after reading the responses back to the list, you don't really have to worry about inserting any major "connector loss". Now just calculate dB loss per foot at the desired frequency.

-Steve
N1JFU