Re: [TowerTalk] Cable entrance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable entrance
From: Art <ky1k@pivot.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:45:41 -0400
For the insulation, you can buy extruded foam that is soft and easy to cut in 3 to 5 inch diameter. 6 feet of the stuff costs 3 or 4 bucks. Drill holes slightly smaller than the coax you are running through it, then slice it so that it creates an open side.

Lay your cable into it through the slice along the length of it, and slide it all into the entrance pipe. It makes a weatherproof seal and is cheap. Smaller cables such as rg58 and rotor cable doesn't need a hole drilled at all, just lay it in a slit made lengthways and the foam conforms to the cables diameter and seals perfectly.

I suggest using the 3 or 4 inch diameter stuff as it's easier to work with when you have 8 or 10 coax runs passing through it.

Put just a few drops of vegetable oil on the coax where it slides into the foam and it will be very easy to slide the coax in and out when you want to add additional runs.

I used a dryer entrance hose bracket which has a nice rain shield and is cheap and available.

The extruded foam is a Wal Mart type item, sold in the toy section. Look near the pool supplies, they are called 'noodles' and are sold as floats for kids (and adults) to keep them floating in the pool. Some have holes in them already, others are solid (without holes).

Good Luck to all.

Art