Re: [TowerTalk] Belts/Harness

To: Robert Shauger <rgshauger@myyellowstone.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Belts/Harness
From: Phil Camera <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:51:57 -0500
What brand of harness do you use, Phil? I am thinking of purchasing one for myself.

Personally I use the following as listed. I purchased these from Airgas Safety (800-558-8900). They're an industrial catalog safety equipment sales company. Also, Grainger, McMaster Carr, Lab Safety, etc. can supply similar equipment. And yes of course our own Tower Talk moderator, Steve, K7LXC, at Championradio.com offers the same equipment. I use the following for tower climbing:

MSA FP Pro full body harness, cross chest straps w/ back and hip D-rings ~$58
Miller Manyard shock absorbing lanyard with gorilla hook at one end ~$66
Rebar Chain Positioning Assembly ~$50 (gorilla hook with eye at end slides along chain that attached to hip D-rings)

I like the gorilla hooks as they allow very quick attachment as one climbs. I alternate between the lanyard and the positioning hook as I climb or descend so that I'm always attached 100%. (Well, I do cheat sometimes when I climb and do a little free climbing for a part of a section but am always connected when descending.) When I'm up top, I attach the lanyard to the mast usually and use the rebar positioner to swing from side to side, the gorilla hook slides along the chain attached to the hip D-rings. And of course, I use safety shoes with a steel shank in the sole for good foot support. And, I always try to keep one hand on the tower for me and always use the three point rule when climbing/descending, i.e. always have three points attached, three out of two feet and two hands. Take your time, plan your climb, have good ground crew, take breaks when moving up and down, don't be scared but do be cautious and don't take chances. Phil KB9CRY

Oh, also, I use brown cotton jersey gloves with rubber dots on them for climbing. The rubber dots give good grip on the tower sections which can become quite slippery. Finally I have a Petzl climbing helmet to use to protect the noggin.