Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna

To: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:59:35 -0700
Mark,

I was in the same situation as you several years ago
(e.g. I picked up a used cantenna at a hamfest). I dumped
the old "unknown" liquid into a plastic jug and drew a skull
and crossbones on the side. I then dried out the remaining
oil inside the can with paper towels, washed out the can
with soapy water, dried it, and then refilled it with non-PCB
transformer oil that I got from MFJ.  The MFJ oil is
expensive, but it's real transformer oil which is supposed to
have better thermal properties than mineral oil which is
generally much cheaper (the rated duty cycle of the MFJ
dummy load is higher if you use transformer oil instead of
mineral oil) . If you know somebody in the electric utility
business, you might be able to sweet talk them out of a
gallon of real transformer oil for free, or as Jim Lux suggests
check the yellow pages under "oil - jobbers".  I am sure the
wholesale price is a small fraction of the MFJ price.  I think
Shell Diala-X is the brand name:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Amps/2001-10/msg00034.html

BTW, don't spill the transformer like I did. The new stuff may
not be toxic, but I will ruin leather shoes :)