Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna

To: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:29:45 -0700
Why would it be deadly?  They're filled with oil.

You're probably thinking about PCBs?  They were used as a replacement for
oil (non-flammable, non-toxic (in general), non-reactive, non-spoiling).
The problem with PCBs is that the mfr process inevitably contaminates it
with certain things (i.e. dioxin) which ARE a problem.  They're also so
inert that they don't degrade for a very, very long time (centuries), so the
problem sticks around. (one might comment that if they are so inert they
don't degrade, then their biological effectiveness is correspondingly
small...)

Easy to test informally (if you are worried that some bright soul in the
past replaced the oil with askarel (PCB)).. oil burns, pcbs don't. Most PCBs
used as insulators are also denser than water (but not by any means all...),
while insulating oil floats.

If you wanted to be really compulsive, they also have solder in them (lead),
rosin (chemically reactive), etc.